Sunday, February 2, 2020

$20 a Month


I dreamed a dream the other night in which I presented a young lady a new home; just because I could, and just because I wanted to.

And as the dream progressed, I recall telling the young woman that I would like her to send me $20 a month for the remainder of her life; not as a payment for the house, but as an ongoing appreciation of sorts for what I had done for her.

Did I mention I fancy myself an amateur interpreter of dreams? (Well, I do).

It seems to me that the illusion of leaving the house to the woman is all about my impact on those whom I am leaving behind. My Legacy is quickly becoming their Heritage. And not unlike Elijah and his spiritual apprentice, Elisha, I will leave my figurative mantle behind, and expect several people, in particular, to drape it around their proverbial necks, and go on to make a difference; when I no longer can.

As she got up to leave from a mentoring session once, a young intern of mine spontaneously said,

“Dr. Bill, I don’t want to disappoint you. I’ll go for you when you can no longer go. I’ll speak for you when you can no longer speak. I will reach, teach and keep people in your name; long after you have gone on to your reward.”

And the $20 which I found myself collecting from the lady on a monthly basis? I think it’s all about my expectation that those whom I am currently impacting will “pay it forward” and, like the intern whom I alluded to, will allow me to live on vicariously through them.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending

No comments:

Post a Comment