Friday, June 14, 2019

ANCIENT ADAGES

My wife and I decided to ride out to Kissimmee State Park near Lake Wales, Florida today. It had been several years since we had done a day trip out there, and it was "high time" we did so. As we drove up to the ranger's shack, my wife asked the elderly fella if I was eligible for a military discount. To which he responded,

"Only active duty get a discount" and looking at me, he continued, "and he isn't active duty;" (as if to clue me in that I looked way past the mandatory retirement age of 60). After we drove away, I mused,

"Well, #1 retirees should be eligible for the discount; anywhere, anytime. I mean, I served 35 years, and some active duty troops are on their first tour of duty" (and) "#2 that comment about 'he isn't active duty' was kinda crude and rude."

A few minutes after the insult began to wear off, I began to think about other memories, and other classic comments I have heard over the years.

Ten years ago my cousin and I organized a grave marking ceremony for my 3x great Grandfather Isham McDonald, a Scottish immigrant to this country, who fought in the American Revolution, and died going on two centuries ago. 

I was scheduled to speak at the ceremony, which was well attended by McDonald descendants, and had worn my Army Dress Blues uniform. As an aged member of The Georgia Sons of the American Revolution introduced me, he said, "And now Staff Sergeant William McDonald is coming to present a 'brief brief' biography of his ancient grandfather, Isham." 

"Brief, brief," huh? Well, no sooner had he uttered the words, I thought, "Nah, I don't think so. My grandfather is simply worth it, and served his adopted country throughout the entire American Revolution. What he did wasn't 'brief brief,' and my eulogy won't be either!"

And then there was the time my wife, and I were visiting my children in Jacksonville. We had picked them up at their mother's house, and taken them to a hotel near St. Augustine; where we would stay the night. Deciding to spend some time in the pool, we all got ready, and went to the poolside. As Jean and I sat in plastic chairs watching the kids, we noticed a granddad and grandmother doing very much the same thing as we were doing. 

As their grandson, little "Roger," a five or six year old boy swam, he continued to swim out to the deep end; (if you can call it "swimming"). Of course, this concerned his grandparents, and granddad kept shouting for him to get back in shallow water. Suddenly, the young boy began sputtering, and started to go under. Totally exasperated, the old man kneeled and stretched himself out over the water, grabbed the little guy, and thrust him into granny's arms, exclaiming, "Here. He's drowned!" (Well, of course, he wasn't).

My wife and I have never ceased to laugh about those old memories, and the words which were spoken. After today, I suppose we will have to add a new memory, and new words to those ancient adages.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending. 2019

If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above


No comments:

Post a Comment