Thursday, February 7, 2019

WEARING MY WIFE'S DEARLY DEPARTED EX-HUSBAND'S SHOES


Catchy title, huh?

Well, as “Generation Z” or the “Boomlets” might say…

“Truth”

(or in my “Baby Boomer” parlance, “It’s the truth”).

Matter of fact, I just took them off, (and I’ll put them on again when I head out on my 4am walk).

“Long story short,” (to use another pat phrase) “Reggie” passed away a couple years ago, and a few months later my step-son asked if I wore a size 9 1/2, (and subsequently asked whether I wanted his dad’s Nike athletic shoes). I think my wife was something short of shocked when I replied in the affirmative. I mean the shoes were almost new. I wasn’t about to let them go to waste.

I regularly meet with a couple of my young interns an hour before the Wednesday night Bible study. From time to time, when I arrive a bit early, I will walk down the hallway in which my office is located, open the side door which leads into the sanctuary, and look out over the three sections of empty pews before me.

I can almost see the folks who used to fill them up on Sunday morning. And though they have long since gone on to their respective rewards, my “mind’s eye” easily adds bone and tissue and hair and clothing to their ethereal presences. They are, if only for a few brief moments, with me again.

Bro. & Sis. G.

Bro. & Sis. S.

Sis. C.

Rev. & Mrs. S.

Gary P.

My cousin W.

And the list goes on, and on, and on.

Pt. 2

When it seems relevant, I share a humorous tale with my clients and interns.

“Dr. Bill and Dr. Tom were pastoral counselors, as well as good friends. One day Dr. Tom passed away, and since he had experienced a saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ, he went straight to heaven.

Dr. Bill often thought of Dr. Tom, and missed him greatly. One night, after the former of the two retired for the night, he awoke and noticed a white mist forming near his bedroom door; an insubstantial fog which quickly took on the vestige of his dear old friend, Dr. Tom.

And then he heard himself stuttering the words,

“Is that, is that you, Tom?”

To which the momentarily substantial shape responded,

“Yes, it’s me, Bill.”

Dr. Bill continued; more in control of his faculties now,

“Well, it’s so nice to see you, Tom. But to what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?”

Dr. Tom hurriedly replied.

“I have good news and I have bad news.”

Wondering, “what in the world,” Dr. Bill inquired,

“What’s the good news, my friend?”

Tom smiled a half smile and exclaimed,

“There is a pastoral counseling center in heaven.”

Well, I can tell you this was surprising news to Dr. Bill, and he could not resist asking the next question.

“Well, I’m glad to hear that, Tom! And so, what’s the bad news?”

Dr. Tom’s smile faded quickly, and looking somewhat mournfully into Dr. Bill’s eyes, he exclaimed,

“You have a full load of heavenly clients lined up for tomorrow!”

Afterward

We get so used to living and moving and breathing. And though we experience the loss of family and friends, we somehow mentally make exceptions of ourselves, as if we could stay here.

As a matter of fact, I often use that phrase.

“We just can’t stay here.”

We are quickly moving off the stage to make way for our replacements. One day someone else may not only figuratively, but literally walk in my shoes.

God grant that we may wear them well; while we live and move and have our being.
by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending

If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment