Sunday, February 17, 2019

SHUTTING DOWN A LIFE

After my parents died it was necessary for me to, as it were, shut down their lives. There was a will to finalize and items to disperse, there were agencies to notify, banks from which to withdraw funds, property to be sold, etc. etc. etc.

However, even after a relative's cardiac muscle ceases to pump, and the resulting paperwork is finalized, you simply can't shut down a life quite that easily. They will be remembered for good or ill by their children, and their children's children. And if they "left something behind" (as I intend to do) by way of writing, photographs, and the like they have the potential to live on throughout generations, yet unborn.

But I think the best, most substantial, and most enduring way we leave something behind occurs as the result of our informal or formal role modeling. I am a mentor, and I am busy leaving something behind on a daily basis, and will do so as long as God gives me breath.

One of my students once said to me,

"Dr. Bill, I don't want to disappoint you. I will go for you when you can no longer go. I will speak for you when you can no longer speak. I will reach, teach and keep people in your name long after you have gone on to your reward."

I don't think you can do much better than that.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending

No comments:

Post a Comment