Saturday, January 13, 2024

THE LITTLE JANITOR GOT PROMOTED

 

4208

I transferred to Southeastern Bible College in 1968; having finished my freshman year at a local community college, and commuting from my family home fifteen miles away.
During my tenure at SEBC, (the students referred to the school as "Essie Bessie"), I found it necessary to take on a part-time job. And given the convenience of both attending and working at the college, I applied for a janitorial job there. I was hired "post haste."
I worked for a good man named Dwight Redus, the college maintenance director. As one might expect, he "showed me the ropes" before "leaving me to my own devices."
My primary duties involved sweeping and mopping the men's and women's dormitories a couple times a week, and cleaning the bathrooms in these two buildings on a daily basis. (The campus and its student population were much smaller then with just 500 students. Almost sixty years later, Southeastern University boasts numerous dormitories and perhaps 7,500 students).
Among all my memories involving that job position, two stand out among all the rest.
The men's bathroom
Four toilets. Side by side. NO DIVIDERS!
I felt badly for the residential students. Every time I cleaned the toilets, I could not help but think, "How gross!"
The women's dormitory
Each and every time I walked through the front (or back) door of the women's dorm, I was required to yell,
"Man in the hall!!!"
During the course of several months that I faithfully fulfilled my janitorial duties, the most provocative thing I ever witnessed was a young lady running from the hallway to her room in her slip.
Ultimately, I procured an off campus job position with the... United States Air Force. (I came back a decade later and finally finished my undergraduate degree).
A few years after the 20th century gave way to the 21st century, a church friend of mine happened to be the current Dean of the College of Education at Southeastern University. By this time, I had completed my Master's and Doctoral degrees in Counseling, and had served as a pastoral counselor for a decade and a half, and Dr. Bennett thought I would be a good fit for an adjunct professor position in his department.
In spite of my previous preparation, I debated my suitability. And perhaps my hesitation was a healthy approach to my friend's offer. (As it fell together, I need not have been all that concerned).
Fast forward two and a half decades, and just short of forty years since I began my sophomore year at old "Essie Bessie," I had been, unexpectedly, rehired and promoted by this center of academic excellence. (Yes, I was).

I attended Southeastern Bible College. I graduated from Southeastern College. I taught at Southeastern University.

Not only was I privileged to serve in two different capacities at my illustrious alma mater, but I expect I hold "the world record" for the length of elapsed time between those two job positions. I began as a young student of 19 on a campus which looked like a WWII Army post, and returned as a faculty member approaching 60 to one of the most beautiful university campuses in the nation.
I can truthfully say that the opportunity to impact hundreds of deserving young people during the course of seven semesters was among the richest experiences of my life!
The little janitor got promoted.

by Bill McDonald, PhD










No comments:

Post a Comment