Saturday, January 13, 2024

COMFORTING A STRANGER IN AN EMPTY PARKING LOT

 4207

A few years ago, my little female Shih Tzu Queenie was scheduled for her annual checkup, and I made an appointment with my local vet to examine her. And on a given day I put her in the car, and we drove the five miles which lay between my house and the clinic.
And as I pulled into the empty clinic parking lot, and parked in front of the building, I compared the sign in the window and the time on my watch, and realized neither the vet, nor his staff had arrived for the day. At least, I thought, we will be the first in line.
However, the passage of sixty seconds challenged my persuasion since now a late model sedan pulled in beside my car. Glancing to my right, I noticed a young lady of perhaps thirty, and a somewhat scrawny, non-descript brown hound in the seat beside her.
And in the course of a few moments, I noticed a tear roll down her left cheek, and then it seemed she stifled a sob. Well, if you even remotely know me, I am incapable of watching another human being (or animal, for that matter) suffer, and not do something about it.
Pt. 2
Leaving Queenie in the passenger seat, I opened my car door, walked around the automobile, and now stood next to the young lady’s half open window.
Brushing away her tears, the surprised stranger looked up and me, and, no doubt, wondered if I had an ulterior motive.
I spoke first.
“I don’t mean to bother you, Miss, but I noticed you were upset, and wondered if I could help in some way.”
To which the young lady replied,
“Oh, hi. My little Webster is very sick. He developed Parvo and I brought him here, and Dr. Myers gave him antibiotics. However, whatever he prescribed for him didn’t touch the Parvo. He has only gotten sicker, and he has lost a lot of weight. The doctor told me that there is nothing more he can do for him. He is going to euthanize Webster today.”
I glanced into the back seat of her car. I noticed a non-descript, middle-sized brown dog curled up in a doggie bed. He was obviously very sick.
I could not help myself. As my own eyes welled up with tears, I took the liberty of placing my hand on the young lady’s shoulder. I did not remove it immediately, but offered my condolences.
“I am SO very sorry. God bless you and your dear Webster, and comfort you during this difficult time.”
“Margaret” turned her tear-stained face towards me now, and uttered a few more words.
“Thank you. Thank you so much.”
And with this, I nodded, stepped away from her car door, and got back into the driver’s seat of my own car.
by Bill McDonald, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment