Sunday, January 7, 2024

A CHOICE TO MAKE

 4190

The other day, I needed a few folders for some graduation certificates I had prepared for members of a mentoring program; which I teach at a local church where I offer my counseling services.

I had already stopped at the post office to pick up my mail, and, subsequently, I got back into my car, and drove to a nearby Dollar General store. Two minutes later I parked on the side of the building, walked into the store, found my way back to the office supplies aisle, selected some nice colored folders, paid at the register, and walked back to my car.

It was then that I saw her.

A twenty something year old lady was sitting on the sidewalk which borders the east side of the building. Next to her stood a bicycle. "Natalie," (for lack of any other name), was petite, and her blonde hair was done up in pigtails; which hung over the front of her shoulders. I glanced at her, and noticed that she seemed lost in thought, and was staring down at the pavement.

It was then that I sensed the slightest prompt. 

I could... 

Get in my car and drive away.  

(or)

Walk over to the young lady, sit down next to her, and engage her in conversation.

Like most people, Christian or non-Christian, young or old, introvert or extrovert, (and my profile happens to be 1, 2, 1 in terms of the foregoing list), walking over, and speaking to someone seated on a sidewalk by a building isn't the most natural thing to do.

What would I say to her? Was she hungry? Would I offer her something out of the store? Would I share the Gospel message with her? A word of encouragement?

(or)

Would she immediately question my motives, jump on her bicycle, and make a hasty retreat?

I had a choice to make.

...I got in my car, and drove away.

I believe I made the wrong choice.

I expect I will questioning my choice for a very long time to come.

by Bill McDonald, PhD





No comments:

Post a Comment