Saturday, January 28, 2023

EITHER WAY, I WIN

                                                                                


3991

I was watching a Gaither TV special today. And as so often is the case, the one hour segment featured a well-known Christian vocalist, duo or quartet.

Today, the featured (prerecorded) guests were Joey and Rory Feek, a husband and wife duo. The video in which they appeared today is about ten years old, and a great deal has happened in their lives since then, as you may know.

When this particular program was recorded, Joey had been experiencing cervical and colon cancer, and her prognosis was less than favorable. In spite of this awful development, Joey and Rory seemed upbeat, though during the interview with Bill Gaither the dear lady wiped tears from her eyes.

In between songs, Joey spoke of what at that time was a “iffy, it could go either way” diagnosis, and an encounter she had with another patient at a local clinic.

“Not long ago I was having tests done, and the lady sitting near me, who recognized me and who was also battling cancer, asked me a question.”

‘Why are you always smiling, and how do you keep going when you are dealing with such a vicious diagnosis?’

“Well, not one to miss an opportunity, I looked over at her, and replied,”

‘Don’t you see? If I am allowed to stay here awhile, I win! If God takes me home, I win! Either way, I win!’

The day after the Gaither interview with Joey and Rory was filmed, Joey learned that the chemotherapy was not working. She went home to die.

Joey and Rory released videos of her last couple of months. Joey had lost all her hair, she was frail, and confined to her bed. Her morphine drip had to be quadrupled to give her some measure of relief.

Not long thereafter, Joey went on to her rightful reward. As believers we are not guaranteed ceaseless joy on earth, nor length of years. Joey realized that, at best, life is momentary. We cannot stay here. I think there is a great deal of wisdom in the words this dear lady shared with that other patient, and, subsequently, her listening audience.

‘Don’t you see? If I am allowed to stay here awhile, I win! If God takes me home, I win! Either way, I win!’

by William McDonald, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment