Wednesday, November 3, 2021

CUTTING DOWN TREES

There’s a fellow across the street from me who is apparently in the business of cutting down everything. It all started a few months ago. I heard this “Chop” “Chop” “Chop”, and stepped to the front window. “Clint” was standing in his front yard next to an oak tree. And he was hacking away at it with an axe.

Of course, it immediately occurred to me, “Why doesn’t he use a chainsaw?” (and) “It would certainly be a faster operation." And over the next few months, I noticed large piles of limbs by the street in front of Clint’s house; waiting to be collected by our local trash service.

And now, after chopping down every green living thing in his front yard, my neighbor moved to his back yard. “Chop” “Chop” “Chop” went his trusty axe. One tree, after another fell victim to my seemingly obsessive-compulsive neighbor with a fetish for destroying innocent trees.

Why, even today I noticed another big pile of tree limbs by the street in front of Clint’s house. He was at it again. And immediately after I noticed the limbs, I heard the ever familiar “Chop” “Chop” Chop” again. He was out in his back yard destroying another unobtrusive oak tree.

Pt. 2

I expect by now you may have come to believe my agenda in writing this story somehow relates to an obsessive-compulsive neighbor with a fetish for killing off every tree within a hundred feet of his house. And if you believe that, you would be… absolutely wrong.

For you see, as strange as Clint’s pattern of behavior appears to be, I could care less whether he “takes out” every bush, shrub, sapling and tree on his property. I certainly won’t call the arboreal police on him! (And to be fair, perhaps he has a logical reason for what he has been doing. He certainly doesn't owe me an explanation).

No, my friends, Clint and his seemingly strange fixation is only a metaphor for a behavioral pattern which I have witnessed among believers.

We have all heard the phrase, “When you have friends like mine, you don’t need enemies.” I expect Job felt very much like this.

Granted, Job’s friends joined him during that hurtful season when he was suffering, they empathized with him, (at least momentarily), and they were present with him for an extended period of time. However, before their visit was over, they were very much like my tree-chopping neighbor; bent on whittling him down to size.

In John 6:63 Jesus said, “My words are spirit and they are life.” However, words can also be spirit and death. The accusations which Job’s friends laid on him definitely fell into the second of the previous two possibilities. But while the three friends turned Job “every way but loose,” when it was all said and done, God affirmed and rewarded this righteous man with double everything of which he had been so rudely deprived.

Pt. 3

Too many believers use their words to cut and not to heal. Too many of God’s people spew vile death-laden words as if they had gone out of style. Too many are bent on cutting down their brothers and sisters.

Jesus’ half-brother, James made a startling statement,

“If any man appears to be religious, but cannot control his own tongue, he deceives himself, and his religion is vain.” (James 1:26)

I have been badly hurt by the words of friends and strangers, alike. I know how it feels. I know what lasting pain it heaps upon a person, very much like an immense pile of limbs lying by the roadside; from which I need to extricate myself.

We find a simple, but telling admonition in the New Testament which says it better than I ever could.

“These things ought not to be.”

Brothers and sisters, let me admonish you to think before you speak. Consider how your words can instill life or foment death. If you are anything like me, it is easier for you to remember a few random examples of words which have brought pain and suffering to you, than multiplied more examples of words which have blessed, helped and encouraged you.

Think before you speak! Avoid death-dealing words which speak doubt, despair, distraction and destruction to those whom God has set in your pathway.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending



 

No comments:

Post a Comment