Friday, November 12, 2021

A DOVE & A VALENTINE

Pt. 1

“No temptation has taken you but such is as common to mankind. But God is faithful, and will not allow you to be tempted above that which you are able. But will with the temptation also provide you a way of escape.” (1st Cor. 10:13)

I have been a target of death and hell and old Lucifer, himself the past few months. I realize my lead in sentence seems a bit dramatic, but honestly, I haven’t been so ‘vexed’ by a such a multitude of circumstances, in the space of a few weeks, in my entire life!

My wife developed a kidney stone and endured two operations in order to remove it; during the course of which she spent seven days in the hospital. My precious little fifteen year old pooch developed symptoms of dementia, and, as a result, our local vet helped her to cross the Rainbow Bridge. My oldest daughter, who has lived in an assisted living facility the past thirty years, experienced two episodes of psychosis in the space of a few weeks, and was admitted to a nearby psychiatric ward twice. A situation transpired which involved one of my dearest friends and which has challenged our relationship. And last, but not least there is another situation which I will keep to myself, but which has been an immense burden upon my proverbial back.

And yet as I have grown older in the Faith, having “walked the sawdust trail” over half a century ago, I have often said,

“The longer I serve Him, and the more trials I endure, the easier it gets since I know who I am and to Whom I belong, and I am moving ever closer to the day when I will lay it all down and cross into the glories of heaven.”

However, as I have previously inferred, I have NEVER endured so much in such a brief amount of time. And, as a result, it seems the weight of the world has been hung from my neck, and draped around my shoulders!

Pt. 2

I can’t account for it, but more than once I have said,

“I have experienced more miracles during the five decades I have been a believer than anyone deserves to experience in ten lifetimes.” (and) “I know God doesn’t waste His miracles. They are bestowed on a person at a time and in a place for a purpose.”

I have been saved from certain death eight or ten times. I have felt the weight of an unseen hand on my shoulder for minutes on end. My young son’s eyes, which were crossed, were immediately uncrossed as the result of his family’s faith, and the touch of a traveling evangelist. I have seen what could have only been an angel. And what I have just recounted for you is just “the tip of the iceberg.”

For speaking of miracles, I have previously written about a long series of events which have occurred in my presence over the past several years, first as I pedaled my bicycle, and later as I walked in the wee hours of the morning.

It happened again yesterday.

As the clock tick-tocked it way towards 6am, as I was finishing my one hour walk, and I prepared to navigate my last turn towards home, I glanced into the night sky. And while there wasn’t the slightest sign of light on the eastern horizon, the clouds above me were very distinct, and I noticed those closest to me had taken on the shape… of a huge dove; two wings, a head, and a beak. And there, seemingly attached to the beak, was what appeared to be a large valentine!

There could be no mistaking the message, and there could be no mistaking its Source. It was as if God was saying,

“I know you have endured much, but these experiences, and your pain have not taken Me unawares. Remember, my child, the servant is not greater than his Master. If I suffered when I walked where you now walk, you must also endure tribulation. And you should count it a privilege to do so since I have entrusted you with these circumstances and emotions. I have loved you with an everlasting love. I will never leave you, nor forsake you. I will not allow you to bear anything which is greater than the grace which I will give you so you might bear it.”

Afterward

Do you recall something I wrote previously?

“I know God doesn’t waste His miracles. They are bestowed on a person at a time, and in a place for a purpose.”

This was one of those times and this was one of those places. And while the recent events in my life have seemed unendurable, I am convinced that they are not. And though I once said, “I cannot do this, and I cannot go on,” I am convinced that I will.

 

“And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for you: for My strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” (2nd Cor. 12:9)

 by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending

 

No comments:

Post a Comment