Tuesday, February 9, 2021

DESERTS AND CAMELS

As I write this musing, I am in between places in which I perform ministry, though I think my calling, itself, has not changed. For I am, after all, a counselor and mentor and teacher.

My sleep pattern is, to put it in the vernacular, “pretty messed up.” I will doze a couple of hours in the wee hours of the morning, (often falling asleep in my easy chair) and take one or two 1-2 hour naps during the daylight hours. (Of course, if I wasn’t retired, I would not have the luxury of such irregular hours).

But be that as it may, I laid down today and dreamed a dream.

In the dream I witnessed myself walking outside my house, and I noticed a new pair of work boots in a ditch, strung together and nicely wrapped in cellophane. And as I went to retrieve the boots, three or four strangers walked up, and a representative of the group said,

“God has something new for you to do, and a ministry for you to lead.”

Well, their news was “news to me,” and I expect the response I gave them might have needed some clarification.

“I am the master of all the deserts of the earth, and the camels which walk across them.”

(and)

“I will decide if your message is legitimate, and whether or not I pursue it.”

The dream being over, my newfound friends took their leave, and I “went about my business.”

About this time, I woke up.

I have often fancied myself an amateur interpreter of dreams, and, as you might imagine, I was curious regarding the source of and interpretation of this particular dream.

Pt. 2

I will leave it to my readers to determine the source of the dream.

I have often shared a teaching regarding where dreams come from. I think some of our dreams may very well originate in heaven. A dream may be the result of our own inner psyche wrestling with something in our status quo. Or perhaps a given dream originates with the pizza we ate at midnight.

In regard the dream I have recounted, I think the presence of the new work boots speaks for itself. The adjective “new” implies something which is not old. It is a time and place I have not yet been before. The work boots themselves are all about the amount of time and energy which will be required to fulfill my next mission.

Obviously, the role of the messengers in my dream represents the manner in which God will reveal Himself to me, or at least a verification that the time is at hand when I will undertake this new ministry.

But now we come to my response to the men and women who have taken their precious time to visit me, and make me aware of the next facet of my unfinished destiny, or at least the imminence of its arrival.

“I am the master of all the deserts on the earth and the camels which walk across them.”

(and)

“I will decide if your message is legitimate, and whether or not I pursue it.”

Initially, and ‘til the past couple of minutes I thought that the foregoing was my response to the messengers. However, suddenly, I’m convinced that these words are God’s response to my present quandary, and where I go from here.

After all, He is the Master of all those “dry” or “desert” seasons, (such as the one in which I presently find myself) and He is more than capable of providing me a "camel" or means of "transportation" to navigate that proverbial desert.

And I think the second portion of the response refers to God’s unique and personal calling with which He invests each and every one of us, and which He dreamed for you and me before He made the worlds. He is faithful to make Himself known to us, if we seek Him with all our hearts (Deut. 4:29, Jere. 29:13, Psalm 138:8, 1st Thess. 5:24), and He has no intention of leading us astray.

I believe the days and ways of our lives have been predetermined by a loving and omniscient God who is quite capable of revealing Himself to us, and fulfilling whatever still remains of our destinies on the earth.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending

No comments:

Post a Comment