Thursday, October 15, 2020

Co-creating With God

Recently, I was watching a TV segment, and Kathy Lee Gifford was being interviewed about several topics, including a movie she wrote and starred in, and which was set in Scotland. And while she “puts herself out” as a professing Christian, Kathy Lee included scenes related to drunkenness and premarital sex in her movie; something I believe was wholly unnecessary. (And from my point of view, it would have merited a one star rating either way).

But be that as it may, during the interview Mrs. Gifford made a couple of statements which I liked a great deal.

“I think as God’s most magnificent creation, while we live out our lives here, we ought to be involved in co-creating with Him.”

(and)

“As long as there is a pulse, there is a plan.”

In terms of the latter statement, I am well past 70 now, and I can identify with it better than I possibly could have thirty years ago. And, as a result, every day I pray, “Lord, don’t let me miss whatever remains of my destiny.”

However, I wish to focus on the first of her two statements here.

“I think as God’s most magnificent creation, while we live out our lives here, we ought to be involved in co-creating with Him.”

Any serious student of the Bible is well aware that God dreamed so pretty awesome dreams for each of us, by name, and as individuals, before He made the world and the stars.

Pt. 2

I love scriptures like,

“Before I ever took my first breath, you planned every day of my life.” (Psalm 139:16)

(and)

“The Lord will accomplish that which concerns me.” (Psalm 138:8)

(and)

“I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord beseech you that you walk worthy of the vocation to which you have been called.” (Eph. 5:1)

Co-creating with God

I like that phrase a great deal. Just as our Creator dreamed some pretty magnificent dreams, and spoke those dreams into existence, something which the Book of Genesis describes as “work,” He has also given each of us a work to accomplish, whether our lives are relatively short, as one precious Christian classmate of mine, or whether they are exceptionally long, as one of my ancient preacher grandfathers who lived to the amazing age of 108.

In Philippians 2:13, we read,

“For it is the Father’s good pleasure both to will and act in you according to His purposes.”

I think we are called to adopt the Mind of Christ for our lives, and having done so, all that is left is to practice it. And practicing it is all about bringing God’s hopes, dreams and expectations for us to fruition by deliberate, tangible actions which emulate those very dreams which God has instilled within us.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending

If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment