Thursday, October 1, 2020

A Clothing Buffet

 

“And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force.”

(Matthew 11:12)

My wife and I drove up to Lowe’s Hardware today, and while she went into the store, I remained in the car; all the while listening to “Elvis Radio.”

And as I sat there, I happened to look to my right. And what greeted my eyes, though I am 70 years of age, was a “first” for me.

I noticed a man and a woman standing next to a non-descript clothing donation bin. I say “non-descript” since there was no name brand, such as “Goodwill Industries” on the side. And I suppose I should correct myself when I tell you the man and woman were standing. At least the woman was standing. All I could see of the man was a very large posterior, and a pair of feet wearing what appeared to be lace-up dress shoes. For you see, “Henry’s” head, neck and shoulders were not visible to me, since they were tucked inside the lid of the bin. They were almost certainly homeless people searching for clothing.

It was then that I noticed a shopping cart next to the woman, and a large pile of clothing on the ground on the right side of the bin. And now the butt moved. And now I saw the man’s legs dangling against the front of the bin. He was coming out.

After “Henry” dismounted the bin, I saw him sit down next to it, as if he was trying to catch his breath, and relax from his recent pilgrimage to the middle of a used clothing container.

Pt. 2

Tonight, as I thought of writing this particular blog, I began to wish that I had taken a picture of the woman, what was originally visible of the man’s anatomy, and the clothing bin. And it was then I thought, “I bet there are similar photos on the internet.” And thus, I immediately googled, “Man, woman, homeless, clothing bin.”

I would not be disappointed. For what came up was a newspaper story, and a couple of pictures of folks engaged in the fine art of rummaging through donation bins. One of the photographs looked surprisingly like my “picture that never was.”

The newspaper story recounted a few unfortunate deaths of homeless men and women in Canada. It seems that having experienced the same idea, as the previously mentioned subjects of my blog, they had gotten caught in their respective bins, and had either suffocated or died of abject shock.

As I continued to look at “Henry” and “Hazel,” the former of the two assumed a prostrate position on the pavement, and I thought, “Buddy, you must be ‘slap worn out,’ ‘cause that asphalt has to be hot!”

And it occurred to me that these two homeless people were in the process of breaking the law; “right there in front of God and everybody.” And yet, I doubted that one of “Charlie’s boys” would have done anything, but warn them. I mean, who could be so heartless as to deny them this momentary opportunity to “feast” at this outdoor “clothing buffet?”

(Certainly not me)

Pt. 3

Having watched the entire scenario, the scripture with which I began this blog came to me.

“And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force.”

(Matthew 11:12)

I mean, here was a man and woman “who would not be denied.” And while I have mixed opinions about their plight in life vs. the way in which they choose to procure their clothing, (given what they were doing is illegal), no one can deny that “Henry” and “Hazel” were resolute, committed and persistent when it came to doing what they came to do.

And I think the Body of Christ should be doing much the same thing, resolute, committed and persistent in their desire to please God with our thoughts, attitudes, words and actions.

Over 50 years ago, I sat in a college classroom in central Florida. Our professor was a lovely, middle-aged English woman. And as she opened the class that day, she told a poignant story.

“Last night I had a dream. In the dream I was somehow transported to heaven. And I stood beneath the throne of none other than our Lord Jesus Christ.

His brown eyes were piercing to behold. Every strand of His auburn hair was in place. His countenance was radiant. And then,

… then I looked downward.

And what I saw horrified me. For you see, His chest was sunken. His arms were emaciated. Every rib shown through His parchment skin.

And then it occurred to me.

… The Body of Christ.

While the Head is fine and wonderful to behold, thank you, the Body is unhealthy, and in need of attention.”

Christ’ Body. His believers on earth, at least a great many of them, leave much to be desired.

Fickleness, In-fighting, Temptations, Immaturity, Abject Sin.

As scripture reminds us. “These things ought not to be.”

A sad statement and characterization of some, but certainly not all, modern day believers.

 Afterward

I don’t know if “Henry” and “Hazel” were right or wrong. Thankfully, I am not homeless nor hungry, nor bereft of the provisions of life.

I do know that they were committed, resolute and would not be denied.

I think the Body of Christ on this earth have something to learn from this unfortunate couple.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending

No comments:

Post a Comment