Saturday, July 25, 2020

MOTIVATION



Over the past thirty years I have been privileged to serve as a pastoral counselor.



But in order to offer anyone one’s “sage advice”, you have to get them into your office, and that hasn’t always been the easiest thing to do.



Kinda like the Texas Rangers and that movie classic, “Field of Dreams.” The Rangers just built a new one and a half billion dollar stadium. But unfortunately, the best known line in the movie, “If you build it, they will come” doesn’t apply to them. (At least not during the age of the Corona Virus when the team owners have made the decision not to sell tickets to this season’s games).



But to be fair, over the past three decades as a pastoral counselor, it hasn’t been so much a lack of the multitudes sitting on my counseling couch, but, rather, two populations in particular, the male, and the paying variety of clients; both of which are integral to the wherewithal and success of the average therapist.



But I see I have begun my little diatribe off the beaten track, and need to get back on it.



Pt. 2



For those seekers of wisdom, who have chosen to step across the threshold of my office, I do something that most counselors don’t…



I teach



Matter of fact, I honestly have never heard of any other counselor, dead or alive, who instructed their clients to “bring a notebook,” and “write this stuff down.”



And one of the concepts I teach is:



“Motivation is highly overrated.”



And almost, without fail, when I have spoken those well-worn words, my client has looked up from their notebook with a look of virtual amazement on their face, as if this was the most novel, (or most ridiculous) statement he or she ever heard in his or her natural life.



And with this, I continue.



“Yes, motivation is highly overrated. For you see, when someone says, ‘I just need to get motivated,’ what they are really saying is, ‘I just need to work myself up into some sort of frenzy before I will be capable of achieving whatever it is that I want to achieve.’”



(and)



“(Allow me to say it again), motivation is highly overrated. For you see, motivation is little more than an emotion. And if you wait ‘til you feel motivated, you may be 103!”



End of diatribe.



(At least for now).

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending

If you wish to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment