Friday, May 1, 2020

OVER MY HEAD


Speaking of pools, perhaps seven years prior to the subsequent experience which I have described, my first wife and I were visiting her sister, and my brother in law.



My seven year old son, Steve, and his cousin, Robbie were playing in their pool when the two boys began to flail around in the middle. Even forty plus years later, I have no idea exactly how they managed to lock arms, and sink beneath the surface. Perhaps they were playing. Perhaps they were peeved with each other. Of course, at that moment I had little or no inclination to ask them.



And without so much as the slightest consideration, I knew what I had to do. Fully clothed, including shoes, I plunged into the center of the pool. Realizing I could not save both boys at once, at least not in the normal manner, I exhaled, and allowed my body to sink beneath the waves. As I gazed up above my head, I saw the boys still thrashing; just below the surface. And almost intuitively, I grabbed one boy with each hand, and began to walk towards the shallow end of the pool; until all three of us were safe, and able to breathe easy.



No particular moral or punch line here Just a personal reminiscence, and a memory which lingers in the minds of all three of us.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending

No comments:

Post a Comment