Monday, September 10, 2018

A 911 REMEMBRANCE

I was watching television tonight and saw a segment related to the items which are left behind after tragic national events, such as 911 and the Oklahoma City Bombing.
In one case a woman's husband died in one of the World Trade Center buildings on September 11, 2001; which also happened to be his wife's birthday. Months later, as the cleanup continued, this man's Jaguar was discovered under the rubble.
The woman was summoned to the site to watch as the trunk of the demolished jaguar was opened. As the trunk lid was raised this precious lady was overwhelmed to see a beautifully wrapped birthday gift lying before her, along with a greeting card, and wilted red rose.

Post Script

Amazingly, another 2,000 men and women have died since 9/11/2001 of various ailments brought on by the filthy environment of the 911 site, as they participated in the recovery and cleanup efforts. And another 7,000 are suffering with lung disorders, cancer, etc. I visited NYC in 1967 prior to the building of the World Trade Center buildings, and applied at the Pentagon for a civil service position about 1975, a quarter century before it was slammed into by the aircraft. Although I was hired for the job, I decided not to take it. I've never thought about it before, but who can say if I had accepted the position whether I might have still been working at the Pentagon in the new century, and however unlikely it is, I might even have died on that memorable day. As it was, I sat in the safety of my own home in central Florida watching the terrible carnage on television that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment