Sunday, March 12, 2017

THANK YOU, QUEEN ESTHER. Pt. 3



Pt. 3

Purim, a celebration of life. A commemoration of a season when the life of the Jewish nation was on the brink of extermination, but was miraculously salvaged in the person of a Jewish queen. 

Not unlike the plan of a second, more recent Haman, but not before 6 million of my dear student’s countrymen succumbed to his diabolical plot. My own uncle, an American Army staff sergeant, marched into the Buchenwald Concentration Camp and witnessed the results of Hitler’s foul program to rid Nazi Germany of Jews, and other so-called ‘undesirables.’ He rarely recounted the memories of that day; (but not without tears).

In the past several days I came across the true life story of a well-known aircraft disaster. Three decades ago a passenger jet went down in a large American city. All but one of the men, women, boys and girls aboard the airplane succumbed to their injuries. A four year old girl named Cecelia lived, and recounted how that when the plane began to descend her mother unbuckled her seatbelt, and spraddled the seat in which her young daughter sat; covering her with her own body.

Thank God for all who have gone on before us to preserve life, and for their countless deeds, both great and small; in order to preserve all the Cecil’s and Cecelia’s of this world.

I am the product of the countless generations which have preceded me, and I owe them a debt I can never adequately pay. I am who I am because of them. The life I now live, and what I have subsequently become is altogether wrapped up in who they were. My very nature and genetic structure is, in essence, the product of billions who preceded me, and who continue to live in and through me.

I am forever grateful for their lives and sacrifices.

Thank you, Jane for your all too apt reminder.

And,

… Thank you, Queen Esther.


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 52. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin


No comments:

Post a Comment