Sunday, March 12, 2017

THANK YOU, QUEEN ESTHER. Pt. 2



Pt. 2

Ultimately, I was notified by email that my DNA test had been processed. Quickly clicking on the website (for I have ‘saved’ it to my ‘favorites’) I found myself both thrilled and surprised with the results. For you see, while much of the data verified what I already knew to be true, some of it was altogether new and enlightening to me.


Great Britain-70%, West Europe-17%, Iberian Peninsula-3%, Italy-3%, East Europe-1%, Scandinavia-1%, North Africa (Arab)-1%, Sub-Saharan Africa (Black African)-1%, and Caucasus (Israel)-1%; (with a few miscellaneous blood lines thrown in for good measure).


Did I say I was surprised with some of the results? (Well, I was).

As I previously inferred, Jane’s post was thought provoking, and it brought to mind the literally billions of our grandparents with whom you and I have been blessed to share this planet. For one has only to do the math to discover that in the mere span of a millennia and a half each of us possess a billion direct ancestors, or grandparents; (and the total doubles with each previous generation).


I have never thought of Esther as one of my potential relatives, nor a savior of my own personal humanity in time gone by; ‘til only yesterday I read my good student’s tribute to that ancient Jewish queen. 


However, I admit to something very much like it, since I have often reflected on the circumstances of some of my forebears whose names I know, (and some I don’t) and who literally caused me to be the man I am today.


My unknown, unnamed 5x great grandmother who knew the sting of my 5x great grandfather’s whip, who also bore his children; (and who, in turn, became slaves after her).



My 4x great grandmother who, when approached by pro-British Tories during the American Revolution, refused to divulge the whereabouts of her husband, at that moment fighting with the Colonists, and as a result was murdered with the sword.


My 3x great grandfather who fought, and subsequently died in the American Civil War, but not before the birth of a child; insuring that his (and my) genetic lineage remained intact in the person of his daughter.


A few of the stories to which I am privy, and which speak to the strength and heroism of those whom I am proud to claim as my own flesh and blood.

(to be continued) 


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 52. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin




No comments:

Post a Comment