Saturday, March 18, 2017

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD. Pt. 1



Earlier today as I walked into our dining room, (which used to be our living room and faces the street) I noticed my wife had raised the windows to allow a bit of fresh air to permeate the room. 

From my way of thinking the air was a bit too fresh, since though it is St. Patrick’s Day we have been experiencing some chilly weather. As a result, I made Jean aware that I was cold, and would she please close the windows.

To which she replied, 

“Why? It’s a beautiful day!”

And to which I responded,

(in song)

“It’s a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.”

And this simple little ditty brought to mind someone whom I may have thought of all of two or three times during the first 17 years of our current century.

“Mr. Rogers”

And suddenly, I experienced such a poignant moment of sadness, as I reflected on the man who left us in 2003; just prior to his 75th birthday. 

I admit to being a bit surprised with the emotional response the song conjured up in me. I mean, by the time his “Mr. Roger’s Neighborhood” came along I was in college, and well past the age of watching children’s television programs. Of course, like anyone else I saw snippets of the series which had a remarkable run of 33 years. (1968-2001). Who can forget his, “It’s a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood,” (a song he wrote himself, and which was characterized by a myriad of comedians, including Eddie Murphy in a skit on “Saturday Night Live”).

As he sang his well-worn jiggle Mr. Rogers always threw open the closet door, and traded his jacket for a woolen sweater, and changed out his street shoes for old sneakers. 

(to be continued)

By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 52. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin


Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin
















No comments:

Post a Comment