Sunday, March 12, 2017

THANK YOU, QUEEN ESTHER. Pt. 1



One of my former university students, a lovely young Messianic Jewish lady named, ‘Jane’, posted something on social media yesterday which ‘got me to thinking.’ 


In her post Jane alluded to Queen Esther’s heroic counter-plot to expose Haman’s abominable contrivance to wipe out the Jews of the Archaemenid Persian Empire; to her husband King Ahasuerus. My dear pupil went on to thank the Jewish queen for her very existence. Her words say it better than I ever could.


“Happy Purim Everyone! One woman was chosen by God to save the whole Jewish nation, because of her obedience and courage even in the face of death, I am here today! Do not underestimate God's power in you. You may feel small and insignificant but God's power and strength through you can accomplish the impossible and can bring deliverance to others, yes even a nation!” (Jane S.)


Perhaps my chief responsibility as a pastoral counselor is to provide my clients enlightenment. You can always see it in their eyes. That ‘ah-ha’ moment. Well, as I read Jane’s post yesterday, I admit to having experienced one of those moments. 


For you see, at that very moment it occurred to me that I might well make the same boast as my former student. 


But to regress a wee bit.


I have known for quite some time that I am a sixth cousin, (several times ‘removed’) of President Franklin Roosevelt. You see, he and I, (as well as Ulysses S. Grant and Calvin Coolidge) trace our heritage to a common Mayflower ancestor, Richard Warren. Did I mention I am related to Mr. Roosevelt through his mother? (Well, I am). She was a Delano. It is generally accepted that the Delano’s, though Protestant, were converts from Judaism. 


It was only recently that I have authenticated my written lineage through modern technology. A couple of years ago I ordered a DNA test, contributed the requisite saliva, sealed the envelope, dropped it in the mail, and awaited the results.

(to be continued) 


By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 52. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin

Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin

No comments:

Post a Comment