Monday, March 20, 2017

ADVICE TO THOSE WHO PARTICIPATE. Pts. 1-4



In the movie, “Forrest Gump” there is a scene in which Jenny can be seen throwing rocks at her old childhood house; sadly a place which held some pretty hideous memories of neglect and abuse. Finally, as one or two rocks ring true, and we hear the tinkle of breaking glass, she slumps to the ground in abject frustration and fatigue. Throughout the ordeal Forrest has stood there a bit mystified, and as Jenny sits gazing at the dilapidated house, he is heard to say, 

“Sometimes there’s just not enough rocks.” 

Well, sometimes there’s just not enough answers, (and far too many questions).

As with the trials in my own life, and that of my wife, (and they have been myriad) I certainly don’t have enough answers. I think we have all made the faulty comparison between God and our earthly fathers, and mused,
“My biological father would never let me go through this. Why is it that my heavenly Father doesn’t exercise compassion, and bring an end to this hell which I am enduring?”

I heard a story on “Night Sounds” this morning which described an event from the life of some unidentified man during the Great Depression. He was out of work, destitute and unable to properly provide for his family. And as he walked along he came upon a rock mason standing next to some great cathedral. He noticed that his efforts were directed towards a triangular stone, and he naturally asked, 

“Where does that one fit?” 

 
To which the mason responded,

 “Look up at the top of the building. It goes in that little space there. I’m shaping it here so that it will fit up there.” 

And of course, it suddenly struck him. That which he was enduring here was all about shaping him for the momentarily invisible, but inestimably more real and enduring life up there.

Pt. 2

Sometimes we are prone to read verses such as,

“No temptation has taken you such as is common to man. But God is faithful, and He will not allow you to endure more than you can bear, but will with the temptation make a way of escape.” (1st Cor. 10:13) But given the severity, complexity and permanence of what we happen to be enduring, it all seems to ring rather hollow.

I admit, there’s far too many ‘pat answers’ until we examine God’s countless promises and reassurances in scripture, and the way “all things (really do) work together for good to us who love God and who are the called according to His purposes.” (Of course, more often, than not it is necessary to find ourselves on the other side of our pain before we fully realize His purposes, and even then it may not be altogether clear).

I have often reflected on Colossians 1:24 in which Paul speaks of the discipline of suffering.

“Filling up in my own body the unfinished sufferings of Christ.”

Of course, the one and only thing we have to offer Him in terms of suffering is … our participation. And to be sure, it simply isn’t all that convenient to participate. It can be nigh on excruciating.

I suppose there are any number of reasons why we are chosen to participate in Christ’ suffering. 

He has chosen us to teach us a lesson we might not otherwise learn

He has chosen us as a witness of patient endurance to shed forth His glory among unbelievers

He has chosen us to afford us that sort of empathy and understanding for them who He has planned to set in our pathway, and which, without the experience, we would not otherwise possess

He has chosen us for a task greater than ourselves; the preparation for which requires the kind of fiery ordeal that would break any common mortal
He has chosen us because of His inherent trust in us to measure up; since “we serve a God who judges men according to their actions.” (1st Peter 1:17)

Pt. 3

As I survey what I have previously written, I admit to feeling a bit like a Job’s Comforter. It is too easy to philosophize. Perhaps the more so when well-armed with scriptural precepts and platitudes; and when he who provides wise counsel has, in contrast to the one for whom the message is intended, has so little at stake.

Yet, I also admit to having ‘been there’ more times than I can count on my fingers and toes, (though my ‘there’ may be a different ‘there’ than your own, and present at a somewhat different level).

There are among my family and friends those who have borne greater difficulty than I have in life, and I can honestly say I would have taken their pain from them at any time, and borne it in my own body; had I been given the choice and the power to do so. But I realize there is one God, (and I’m not Him). And whereas I am all too often powerless to act, He is never taken unawares, and is altogether capable at all times. 

I have found great solace in our Creator’s marvelous assurance that “the light and the darkness are both alike to Him” and that “before we ever took our first breath He planned every day of our lives.” (Psalm 139:12,16)

It is certain that each of us will realize an end to the season which threatens to overwhelm our proverbial little craft. And I am convinced that believers who hold fast to their faith will come forth as gold; endowed with a new sense of empathy, and spirit of excellence to which we might not otherwise have been endowed. 

My friends, take courage and dig deep into the spiritual riches of the promise of Isaiah 45:3.

“I will give you riches in darkness and treasures in secret places.”

Pt. 4

I could not finish what I had started without offering you a bit of guidance which I once gleaned from a radio program, and which I have adopted as a very practical adjunct assignment in my counseling practice.

The narrator of the program used an acronym to highlight some crucial variables which have the power to make a difference during seasons of testing, illness, or depression, and which are equally essential in the good times as the bad.

F – Fun

There are things one can do and places one can go to recreate without spending a great deal of money.

I – Intimacy

Those who suffer pain or loss should surround themselves with a few people in whom they can depend and confide.

N – Nutrition

It is important to eat well and include selections from all the food groups. In a related area, if you are experiencing depression, and are not currently using an antidepressant medication, you might consider using a nutritional supplement such as St. John’s Wort or SAM-E which are available in health food stores.

E – Exercise

Adopt an exercise regimen tailor-made for your own particular needs
R – Rest

Take care of yourself. Retire at the same time of night. Take a nap during the day

As much as possible be good to yourself and give your mind, body and spirit a respite from what you have endured for far too long. Approach your day with a mindset which embraces as much normalcy as your circumstances allow. If you find yourself thinking too much about things, read a book, go for a walk, call a friend, do a journal entry, etc.




By William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from "(Mc)Donald's Daily Diary" Vol. 52. Copyright pending

If you wish to share, copy or save, please include this credit line.

************
If you would like to see the titles and access hundreds of my blogs from 2015 and 2016, do the following:  

Click on 2015 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "The Shot Must Choose You" appears, click on the title. All my 2015 blog titles will come up in the right margin


Click on 2016 in the index to the right of this blog. When my December 31st blog, "Children of a Lesser God" appears, click on the title. All my 2016 blog titles will come up in the right margin



No comments:

Post a Comment