Thursday, March 3, 2022

RECYCLED FACES

 3879

I have always been fascinated by what have been characterized by the word ‘Doppelgangers,’ or the existence of unrelated twins among us.

I, myself, have been accused of being a doppelganger of a couple of well-known people.

When I used to substitute teach in the public schools, highschoolers would invariably tell me, “You look like Ron White,” (the comedian). After hearing this accusation one too many times, I finally brought up YouTube, and typed in his name. Having watched a couple of video segments, I silently acquiesced, there was some resemblance.

And as I inferred earlier, there is another man whom I have been accused of looking like. When I worked for UPS, and I traveled the highways and byways of central Florida, some of my customers would ask me, “Do you know who you look like?” And though I had heard the question eighteen dozen times, and seconds later the current customer’s conjecture, I would feign ignorance, and respond with, “No, who?” And I would not fail to hear the words, “Jack Nicholson!”

When my wife worked at a local hospital, she knew a nurses aide there who looked like a young Robin Williams. Of course, given the presence of eight billion people who reside on Planet Earth, you might imagine there are multiplied millions of these doppelgangers. From time to time, I do an internet search on the topic, and I’ve been amazed with photos of these modern day examples of unrelated twins. Some of these men and women, and boys and girls are just so close. You would think they were identical twins.

Pt. 2

I recently saw a series of pictures on social media which included photos of people in an art museum standing next to ancient portraits of people who looked almost exactly like them. And not long ago, there was a similar ‘side by side’ of modern day movie stars next to pictures of men who fought in the American Civil War.

Recycled faces

Or one would think so. I mean, what was God thinking when He caused so many unrelated people to look so much alike?

Well, I can’t really speak for that variable, but in stark contrast to the existence of doppelgangers in our society, scripture is replete with evidence and assurances that biological and unrelated twins, (as well as those among us who might not look like any of the hundred billion people who ever lived on the earth) have their own individual worth and destinies.

The God of the universe, the Alpha and Omega, the First and the Last, the “I AM” of the ages, the Savior of the world, the Bright and Morning Star regards each and every member of His most nobly created being as an individual, loves and treats us as such, and addresses each of us in the first person.

We have only to read the following passages in the Word of God.

“Before I ever took MY first breath, you planned every day of MY life.” (Psalm 139:16)

(and)

“The Lord will accomplish that which concerns ME.” (Psalm 138:8)

(and)

“MY times are in His hand.” (Psalm 31:15)

(and)

“He who has begun a good work in YOU will also perform it until the day of Christ.” (Phil. 1:6)

(and)

“I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord beseech YOU that you walk worthy of the vocation to which YOU are called.” (Eph. 5:1)

(and this is my favorite)…

“We have not a High Priest who cannot be touched by the feelings of OUR infirmities, but He was in all ways tempted like WE are, yet without sin.

“Let US come boldly to the throne of grace that WE may receive mercy for OUR failures and grace to help in the time of need.” (Heb. 4:15-16)

Afterward

We serve an I and me and he and she and you kinda God. (Yeah, we do)!

Virtually nothing I have ever run across speaks to this truth better than something I once read in a book entitled, “Captivating,” (and which absolutely agrees with the foregoing scriptures).

“You’ve heard that in the heart of every man, woman and child is a space that only God can fill. But did you realize that in the heart of God, Himself is a space that only (insert your name) can fill.”

Go ahead. Read it out loud ten times! (Oh, remember to include your name. It’s just not the same without YOU)!

 by William McDonald, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment