Tuesday, March 1, 2022

HE WHO SAVES ONE LIFE

3878

As a student of the universe, I understand the earth is approximately 25,000 miles in circumference.

That type of mileage was particularly impressive during the era of Columbus. His first voyage took two months to complete, having traveled from Spain to the present day Bahamas, a distance of only 4,000 miles; about 1/6 the circumference of the earth.

Fast forward half a millennium, and a much lesser known fellow with a familiar face and name, (at least to me), chose to ride a bike 10 miles a day. Several years later, (and before he substituted walking for biking), he had “racked up” 12,625 miles; a distance which equals half the world’s circumference.

Who can doubt the world is getting smaller? Not long ago, I sat in the privacy of my own home, and interacted on a Facetime call with my Army chaplain son-in-law, as he sat in a tent in Afghanistan; something that would have never been possible during any of the wars of the last century.

During my own lifetime, the advent of television has contributed to a small world reality and mentality. I have often thought the prophetic allusion in the Book of Revelation refers to the existence of the modern television.

“Behold, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him, and all tribes of the earth will wail on account of him. Even so. Amen.” (Rev. 1:7)

Speaking of a shrinking world, the hideous events of the past couple of weeks, in which Russia invaded Ukraine, are being reported to the eight billion citizens of Planet Earth within scant minutes of their occurrence.

Pt. 2

While I hate to admit it, I am an addict. Perhaps not the most usual example of the word. I simply spend a tremendous amount of time on social media, namely Facebook.

Yesterday, I was browsing one of my favorite pages related to Scotland’s scenery. I love this breathlessly beautiful land of my forebears, and I was in awe when I visited numerous cities and locations there a few years ago.

While I was viewing the photos of locations such as Edinburgh and Glencoe, I happened to see a comment by a young lady named Anna. She mentioned that she was at that very moment sitting in a shelter beneath the Ukrainian city of Kyiv, and that one day she longed to visit Scotland. (Interestingly enough, her profile photo is of the Glenfinnan Train Viaduct there).

Having read Anna’s comment, I responded with something like,

“God help you and your country during this difficult season” (and) “I will be sending you a friend request.” (Shortly thereafter Anna accepted my friend request).

From thence, Anna and I interacted a bit on my and her Facebook posts and on instant Messenger. And it seems to me that my new friend displays much the same spirit as so many other of her countrymen and countrywomen, including the seemingly fearless president of Ukraine.

As a matter of fact, just today I noticed a post on her page which read,

“IMPORTANT: Dear friends! Especially those who are currently very worried about Ukraine from abroad! Please stop sending panic messages saying ‘You're being driven by a 40/64//100500 km tank convoy, aaah!’ And call with tears and flashes!

“We can't sit in the basement for day 6 listening to explosions and sirens 24/7, no normal sleep. and not afford ANY tears. Soothe your whining in the tube is too much.

“If you don't know what to do, send money to support the Ukrainian army. If you don't know what to say better not say anything. But just pray for our victory!

“Glory to Ukraine!”

Pt. 3

If you “read between the lines” of Anna’s comments, I think you will discover a major theme which in so many words sounds like,

“Listen to me. The people of Ukraine are engaged in a war which will decide the very destiny of our beloved country. We’ve got no time for your histrionics! Save them for someone else!

“We are smack dab in the middle of it. Moaning and groaning won’t get it done, and we’ve had to stifle the luxury of tears, ‘til we are looking at this mess in the rearview mirror.

“In the meantime, if you want to help, share a few encouraging words with us, and above all else, pray for us!”

I suppose the word “Encouragement” is my favorite word in any language. (I asked Anna how to say the word in the Ukrainian language. It is pidtrymka).

Speaking of encouragement, I just messaged my new friend in this war torn country, and attached an e-copy of my New Testament Paraphrase, and a link to my internet blog. I like to think Anna will enjoy reading this material, or at least it will distract her from the fighting which rages around her; if only for a few fleeting moments at a time.

The Jewish people have an adage taken from the Talmud which instructs them,

“He who saves one life saves the world entire.”

Well, I’m in no position to save anyone, much less someone who lives in a war torn country thousands of miles beyond my sphere of influence in central Florida, USA.

But it occurs to me that old adage might just as well read,

“He who encourages one life encourages the world entire.”

(or)

“He who blesses one life blesses the world entire.”

(or)

“He who prays for one life prays for the world entire.”

 

I have decided to encourage, bless, and pray for Anna. She has become the name, and face and voice of Ukraine for me.

For you see, I believe that old Jewish adage is about doing what you can for whoever you can, and in so doing you make a difference in those who God has set in your pathway, one life at a time; very much like my friend Anna.

by William McDonald, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment