Monday, August 2, 2021

IMPONDERABLES (a.k.a. When Bad Things Happen to Good People)

I think we are faced with many imponderables in this life; things

which don't make any sense at all on this side of glory. 

I believe there are many variables, causes, reasons, etc. when it comes to chronic conditions in the lives of believers. Of course, scripture talks about "the sins of the fathers" and the implication that their sins transmit and translate to their descendants.

Of all people I think I qualify for this kind of cause and effect. Several families in my extended family tree owned slaves, and since I have discovered by way of a DNA test that I am 1 percent African-American, it is apparent that one or more of my male ancestors took liberties with their slave women. Beyond this, two of my great great great Uncles gave false testimony at the Salem Witch Trials, and as a result an innocent woman was put to death. 

However, like many others, I have renounced the sins of my fathers and grandfathers and great grandfathers, and I don't believe they have any remaining influence over me. I am, after all, a new creature in Christ. 

There is a passage in which Jesus spoke of the glory and story which is manifested when someone is healed. I have witnessed healings in my own life and the life of my family. When my son was around six his eyes were crossed. We attended an evangelistic service and had him prayed for. He experienced a healing within days. Today his eyes are as normal as my own. I have seen more miracles, (including my having been saved from almost certain death many times) than anyone has a right to experience.

Absolutely amazing things.

And yet I struggle with this infernal ringing in my ears which drives me to distraction. And of course, like multiplied millions, I have prayed to be delivered from this and other things which have caused me pain.

Following is a familiar passage from 2nd Corinthians:

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

8For this thing I besought the Lord three times, that it might depart from me.

9And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

10Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

Hardly any man ever suffered like Paul suffered. He was beaten, he was stoned, he went hungry, he was ship- wrecked. And then we have the martyrs of Hebrews 11. No doubt when they and their children were on the verge of being eaten by lions in the Coliseum, they had some pretty powerful questions about the mercies of God.

Job suffered a season of loss and physical pain. Of course, Satan bargained with God to tempt Job, and believed he would renounce the Creator. The Almighty allowed the trial, trouble and temptation which Job experienced, but did not directly cause it.

And in it all Job said, "Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him." (Job 13:15) (Of course, Paul said something very similar in the previous passage).

I love the verse in Romans 8. "For I reckon the sufferings of this present time aren't worthy to be compared to the glory that will be revealed in us." (Romans 8:18). And we have a similar verse in 1st John. "But this life and the lust (trial, trouble, turmoil and temptation) thereof are passing away. But he who does the will of God endures forever." (1st John 2:17)

I think the implication of the previous verses are all about Perspective. The perspective that this life isn't all there is. This life is so momentary when compared to "the glory that will be revealed in us." We MUST get that perspective. Bad things happen to good people (as the title of a particular book implies). 

In one instance, the esteemed scholar of our times (Forrest Gump) watched Jenny as she threw one rock after another at the house where she had been abused by her father. Finally, she sunk to the ground. And now, Forrest is heard to say, "Sometimes there's just not enough rocks." Well, sometimes there's just not enough answers.

Sometimes there's not enough answers, but God causes ALL things to work together for good to those who love Him, even things we don't understand. He gets glory from the grace we exercise in our sufferings, and He promises us that there is not only a here, but a hereafter. It truly is all about perspective. Our sufferings are so momentary compared to the marvelous glory which stretches out before us.

It just seems some things are, to use a word I previously used, imponderable. 

I don't understand why my daughter has to live out a life in a group home and never know function and be able to have and do the things most people have and do. I don't know why some of my very deserving classmates died during and just after high school. I don't know why airplanes crash taking good people with them. I don't know why Christians are still being martyred in third world countries. I don't know why people contract diseases and aren't healed. When it is all said and done, we are left with the providence of God, and it must all be left to Him.

He gives grace and we have much to look forward to when this life gives way to the next.

by William McDonald, PhD

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment