Saturday, November 28, 2020

HUMOR IN THE AGE OF THE CORONA

The world is just concluding a year unlike any year in its very long history.

The Age of the Corona

And while there have been Pandemics in the past, not the least of which was the 1918 Spanish Flu outbreak, the Year 2020 has also seen Riots, Fires, Hurricanes, Mass Unemployment and Hunger.

And like multiplied millions of my fellow citizens, my wife and I have suffered loss during the 2020 Pandemic.

Her uncle and my cousin each contracted the virus, and both succumbed to it, while eight or ten other relatives have experienced Covid-19, and recovered from it.

But for all of the sadness, misery and suffering which have been part and parcel of this pandemic, it has been accompanied by things to laugh about; (and God knows, during this excruciating season, we need to find some solace in laughter).

I was at the post office the other day, and as I was standing in the socially appropriate, six foot between patrons’ line, waiting to buy stamps, it occurred to me that everyone in the line was wearing a mask. And for no apparent reason, except I thought it was humorous, I turned to the man behind me, and mused,

“We look like a buncha bank robbers waiting for our turn to inform the teller, ‘This is a holdup. Give me all of your money!’”

I saw a post on social media the other day which featured the photo of a customer at Walmart. The lady was wearing the perfunctory mask, and bending over to select something from a low display case. As a result, she was showing a bit too much flesh below the beltline. The caption? “We live in an age where we are expected to cover our faces, but not our posteriors!”

Pt. 2

Many of us have been concerned about eating in restaurants, and how best to take advantage of one of America’s favorite past times, while remaining healthy. Of course, many eating establishments mandate that customers walk in and walk out while adorned in a mask. Once they sit down at the table, however, they are free to shed the mask while they partake of their meal.

One post depicts a man who has discovered a way to protect himself while he is having dinner. The fellow’s face is adorned with a mask constructed from the button, zipper and surrounding fabric of a pair of blue jeans. It goes without saying that when he wishes to eat or speak, down goes the zipper.

Then, we have the ‘rush’ on toilet paper. I mean, you would think a Category 5 hurricane of geographical proportions was due to wipe out the entire United States. The poor soul who arrives at the supermarket a day after the toilet paper aisle has been stocked may want to unpack his old Sears & Roebuck catalogues from the top shelf of his bedroom closet.

And while the following story originated several years ago, it could have just as well happened yesterday, (and I think the hope and humor it inspires are more applicable today, than when it actually occurred).

At that time, I rode my bicycle in the wee hours of the morning. As I pulled up to a stop sign, I stopped and looked to the left, and then the right, and noticed a young man walking down the sidewalk towards me; the wall of a gated community on his left, and a lit four lane highway on his right.

Now, I looked directly ahead of me, and momentarily turned my gaze back towards the young man; who, in the course of two seconds… had simply vanished!

As a man of faith, I have always been convinced that God graced me with a very unique, and almost singular experience that night. And while I cannot guess the why’s or wherefore’s of this experience, I believe I was privileged to witness an angel of God that evening.

A day or two later, I shared this story with my grandson, Noah, who, as you might expect, seemed a bit incredulous. When I finished the story, Noah shook his head, and smiled, and said,

“That was no angel! That was just some guy dressed up in an angel suit!”

 

I hope my foregoing illustrations, and stories brought a smile to your face, and a chuckle to your lips during the difficult season in which we now find ourselves.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending

 

No comments:

Post a Comment