Thursday, August 20, 2020

ONE OF THOSE DAYS. ONE OF THOSE YEARS


Have you ever had “one of those days?” I think we all have. Today was “one of those days” for my wife and me, (as well as our little Queenie).



It all began when we decided to drive over to what I believe to be one of the longest boardwalks in Florida; near a secluded little town, about ten miles away, called “Homeland.”



Hoping into our 2015 Nissan Altima, we first drove to the post office. After Jean pulled into a parking space, I proceeded to open the passenger door, and as I stepped out the door, (and in her eagerness to go with me), our little twelve pound Shih Tzu… fell out on the pavement! Thankfully, I managed to break her fall with my left hand, and everything still seemed to be intact. But as I placed her back on the seat, her right paw came down on my inside elbow, and left two nasty red scratches.



Having walked into the post office, and retrieved our mail, I walked back out to the car, got in, and we drove to “Dollar General” to pick up a couple pair of sunglasses; a pair for me, and a pair for my wife. Walking into the store, I made my way to (what I thought was) the sunglasses rack.



Oddly enough, there were only a few pair of sunglasses, but a large number of reading glasses. As I inferred, the selection of sunglasses was very limited. There was one style for men and one style for women. Picking up one of each, I walked to the cash register, placed $17.19 in the cashier’s hand, and made my way back to our automobile.



(Or at least I thought it was our automobile. After all, it was the right color).


Pt. 2


Reaching for the passenger door handle, I found myself looking into the eyes of a man whom I had never seen in my life. I think my cheeks must have taken on the color of new fire engine. And after offering him a “Gomer Pyle” kinda wave, I noticed our car in the adjoining space.



Having finally stepped into the right vehicle, I handed my wife her pair of sunglasses.



And she immediately exclaimed,



“These are reading glasses!”



…which caused me to examine the pair I had in my hand. And “sure enough,” in the lower third of each frame was a half inch by half inch magnification inlay.



By now, it was apparent that this was, indeed, gonna be “one of those days. We mutually decided that I would return the sunglasses on a subsequent visit.



And we were off again.



The remainder of our trip to the local boardwalk “went swimmingly” until… we reached our intended destination. As we turned off the main road, and drove down a little lane upon which there are three entrances/exits to boardwalk, we noticed several county maintenance trucks, as many maintenance men as there were trucks, and… yellow tape strung between the side rails.


Pt. 3


Have you ever had “one of those days?” This was definitely “one of those days.” But, of course, it almost goes without saying, 2020 has been “one of those years.”



The Corona Virus has impacted the entire world, and whatever one may think of the pandemic, its terrible impact on our nation’s economy, and its significant physiological and psychological influence on our citizens cannot be denied.



And, of course, 2020 has brought with it protests, riots, looting, burning, arson, and sheer anarchy. And I think from the very conception of this nation, we have never seen a year like it.



One of those days and one of those years.



My favorite scriptural passage of all time is found in the Book of Hebrews.



“We have not a High Priest who cannot be touched by the feeling of our infirmities. But He was in all ways tempted like we are, yet without sin.



“Let us come boldly to the throne of grace that we may receive mercy for our failures, and grace to help in the time of need.” (Hebrews 4:15-16)



It is comforting that the great “I AM” has already been there before us, and it is encouraging that nothing with which we will ever contend catches God unawares.

By William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending

If you would like to copy, share or 'save' please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment