Sunday, August 23, 2020

HERITAGE


My father was an amateur genealogist, which is to say he wasn’t paid for his research; (but in every other sense of the word, I would have referred to him as a professional). Henry McDonald began and ended his family research well before the advent of the internet; spending countless hours in numerous historical libraries across the southeast United States.



Even as I type these words, I am sitting just feet away from a room which houses a large bookcase full to the brim with my unpublished works, as well as several versions of thick family research binders which my father compiled during the 5th and 6th decades of his life on this planet.



My dad often mused that he hoped I would write a book about his great great Grandfather Isham McDonald; a Scottish immigrant who fought for this fledgling nation during the Revolutionary War. However, just as often as he mused it, I reminded him that we had all of two paragraphs of historical information about our ancient foreign grandfather, and that if I wrote a book, it would be largely fictional in nature.  Well, he couldn’t countenance such blasphemy.



But perhaps I did him one better.



You see, my father left behind eight or ten hours of audio tapes on which he told stories of his childhood and military life. A few years after his passing, I not only transferred his voice to a hard drive, but have transcribed every word of it into written form.



I’m proud of my dad, and I’m glad I had a part in keeping his memory alive for those of us who cherish him, and his progeny who never had the privilege of knowing him.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending

If you would like to copy, save or share, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment