Monday, March 9, 2020

AFTER A WHILE IT STINGS A LITTLE BIT




Rocky Balboa is feeling a bit weary, and perhaps a little depressed. He is ready to step away from the fight game. As a result, he walks into an employment office, and steps up to the next available counselor.



“Uh, hey there. Uhmmm, I’m kinda interested in finding a different job.”



To which the employment counselor responds,



“I know you. You’re Rocky Balboa!”



(and)



“What sort of positions have you worked before you became a fighter? And did you graduate from high school? How about college?”



Rocky looks down at his feet a moment, and replies,



“I, well, I don’t want to brag or anything, but I finished the 10th grade. And work? Well, I worked down on the docks, and I admit I have broken a few thumbs of guys who got behind on their payments to an Italian guy whose name I won’t divulge in your presence.”



The middle-aged man can barely stifle a smile, as he says,



“Mr. Balboa, I’m sorry, but I can only offer you a menial job. But I’ve seen you fight. Why don’t you keep doing what you’re good at?”



With this, Rocky shakes his head, and exclaims,



“Well, uh, after a while it stings a little bit!” 


I think as believers we sometimes become weary of the fight, and are prone to just give up. Not unlike Rocky, we think about taking the easy way out, and we begin "looking for work elsewhere." However, ultimately, all we can hope for elsewhere is menial, and unsatisfying. As Peter once said to Jesus, when the Lord asked if His disciples had plans to "just go away"... 


"Lord to whom shall we go. You have the words of everlasting life!"


My fellow believers, don't give up, and don't give in. You will never really be happy, or satisfied, unless you stay in the fight. Sure, after a while "it kinda stings a little bit," but He has called us, not for a round, nor for two, but to stay the course and go the distance. And He has promised to be with us always "even 'til the end of the world."

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending






No comments:

Post a Comment