Tuesday, August 25, 2026

A DOG NAMED ANGEL

 4563

Pt. 1

Buddy, our white and auburn female Shih Tzu, was about eleven years old when she began walking the well-worn pathway leading to the Rainbow Bridge.

As my wife and I prepared to take a well-deserved vacation to Hilton Head, South Carolina, Buddy began exhibiting some troublesome medical symptoms. A couple of days before we left, I shared my concerns with Shirlene, one of my sister-in-law’s, and mused that it might be wise to take my precious pooch on a one way trip to the vet; before we left for vacation. Shirlene disagreed, and said,

“Royce, if Buddy is fairly stable at the moment, you should wait ‘til you get back to do the deed” (and) “You don’t want to be overwhelmed with grief while you are on vacation.”

She convinced  me in short order.

As a result, we left our dear little Shih Tzu with Sue, my other sister-in-law, and Jean and I headed out for South Carolina. As it fell together, Buddy hadn’t eaten much while we were gone, and she simply hadn’t been a real “happy camper.”

Six or eight days later, we returned, and stopped by to pick up our little pooch. Initially, Buddy gave us “the cold shoulder.” She was not impressed that we had gone off, and left her. Now, I don’t know if she intuitively knew that we had been to the beach, but we had once taken her to the east coast of Florida, and she had enjoyed running up, and down on the white sand, and frolicking along the edge of the waves.

However, in short order Buddy seemed to forgive us, and she “warmed up” to our loving words, and kisses. But, as much as we tried, she refused to eat anything that day; with the exception of a small piece of chocolate. (I confess, I have always given my dogs a modest amount of this delicacy, in spite of the fact, or myth, that it wasn’t good for them).

Pt. 2

And as the day of our return wore away, it was obvious that Buddy wasn’t long for this world.

She was used to sleeping with me, and she had her own pillow at the end of the bed. We laid down earlier than usual, as my precious pooch had begun hyperventilating, and alternatively, her respiration would slow to five or six breaths a minute. As the evening progressed, Buddy’s tongue took on a pasty white color. Neither our little white and auburn Shih Tzu, nor I got any sleep. I knew it was just a matter of hours. (My wife made the comment later that, “there’s no way I could have put Buddy in bed with me that night”).

Morning dawned, and I may have slept two hours. I’m doubtful Buddy slept at all. Scooping her up, I noticed her breathing was on the low ebb, and continued to be shallow. Now, I retrieved her doggie bed, and laid it, and her in the living room, walked into the dining room, and dialed the number of one of my counseling clients from the Dominican Republic, whose given name was “Angel,” and took care of some quick business. (Speaking of Angel, our daughter had given Buddy the alternative name of Angel).

Finishing my call, I walked back into the living room, and discovered our little pooch was no longer laboring to breathe. She had crossed the proverbial Rainbow Bridge. It soon dawned on me that our precious pooch had been denied several years of life due to the steroidal medication we had given her on a regular basis. However, without it, she would have scratched her eyes out, as like so many of her breed, she had significant allergies.

In retrospect, it seemed our little Angel had mustered up whatever was required to linger on this good earth ‘til we returned from vacation, and, subsequently, she was gone in the course of one night.

Ironically enough, while I was on the phone with a client named Angel, our little Angel had been visited by her Death Angel.

by Bill McDonald, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment