Tuesday, August 25, 2026

A DOG NAMED ANGEL

 4563

Pt. 1

Buddy, our white and auburn female Shih Tzu, was about eleven years old when she was quite obviously approaching the s0-called Rainbow Bridge.

As my wife and I prepared to take a well-deserved vacation to Hilton Head, South Carolina, Buddy was exhibiting some troublesome medical symptoms. A couple of days before we left, I shared my concerns with Shirlene, one of my sister-in-law’s, and mused that it might be wise to take my precious pooch on a one way trip to the vet before we left for vacation. Shirlene disagreed, and said,

“Royce, if Buddy is fairly stable at the moment, you should wait ‘til you get back to do the deed.”

As a result, we left our dear little Shih Tzu with Sue, my other sister-in-law, and Jean and I headed out for South Carolina. As it fell together, Buddy hadn’t eaten much while we were gone, and she simply hadn’t been a real “happy camper.”

Six or eight days later, we returned, and stop by to pick up our little pooch. Initially, Buddy gave us “the cold shoulder.” She was not impressed that we had gone off, and left her. Now, I don’t know if she intuitively knew that we had been to the beach, but we had once taken her to the east coast of Florida, and she had enjoyed running up and down on the white sand, and frolicking along the edge of the waves.

However, in short order Buddy seemed to forgive us, and she “warmed up” to our loving words, and kisses. But, as much as we tried, she refused to eat anything, with the exception of a small piece of chocolate. (I confess, I have always given my dogs a modest amount of this delicacy, in spite of the fact, or myth, that it isn’t good for them).

(to be cont).

No comments:

Post a Comment