4558
My wife and I experienced the vacation of a lifetime almost a decade ago. We visited Ireland, N. Ireland and Scotland.
While we were staying in a hotel in Glasgow, Scotland, I had taken the elevator from our third floor room to the lobby for one reason or the other. As I stepped into the elevator to go back to our room, a middle-aged man stepped in with me.
As the elevator ascended, we engaged in a brief conversation.
"Are you an American?"
His accent betrayed him, and I knew he was a Scotsman.
I responded.
"Yes, yes I am."
My newfound friend continued.
"Ah, we owe so much to those brave lads who left your country, and came over during the last world war, and helped us fight."
His words caught me off guard. However, I know there are many in Europe, especially the older ones, who haven't forgotten our sacrifice there.
I nodded, and said something appropriate. And now the elevator door opened, and I bid the fellow a good evening.
As brief as my experience was, I think I will never forget my conversation with that stranger in a small elevator in Scotland.
by Bill McDonald, PhD
No comments:
Post a Comment