Friday, April 19, 2019

THE MOST UNLIKELY OF CHANCE MEETINGS


Sometime in the mid to late 80’s, I pulled my UPS truck up to the back door of a sports shop at the Winter Haven Mall in order to make a delivery there. As I exited, and pushed my hand cart up to that rear portal, a late model sedan pulled up beside me, and a middle-aged lady exited the vehicle.
At this point, I don’t recall our conversation, but to be sure we had a short conversation at which time the woman informed me that she was none other than Cornelia Wallace, the ex-wife of the former governor, and presidential candidate, Alabama’s George Wallace, that she knew the owner of the shop, and had stopped to talk to him. (You may recall that she was with the governor during the assassination attempt which led to his paralysis).
As it fell together, one of my counseling clients attended the same church Ms. Wallace attended, and several years after I first met her, my client procured Ms. Wallace’ autograph for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment