Wednesday, April 17, 2019

FIRST CORINTHIANS CHAPTER 13 - McDonald Paraphrase


If I speak in the languages of men and of angels, but do not express love by my words, and actions, I am little more than a resounding gong or a clanking cymbal. If I have been given the gift of foretelling the future, and comprehend all mysteries, and have access to all knowledge, and if I possess the kind of faith which can move mountains from one location to another, but am bereft of love, I am absolutely nothing. If I give all my possessions to the poor, and sacrifice my living body to the fire, but have no love, it benefits no one.

Love is always patient, love is always kind, it does not envy its friends or enemies, it does not boast about its wealth or abilities, it is not proud. It does not disrespect others. It is does not make itself the first priority. It does not yield itself to anger. It does not keep a record of wrongs perpetrated against it. Love does not take great delight in evil, but always rejoices in the Truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, and always perseveres.

Love has no wherewithal to fail. But where there are prophecies, they will fail. Where there are tongues, they will no longer speak. Where there is knowledge, it will pass from the earth. For we only know a little, and we only prophesy a little, but when that which is complete appears, the “little” will be cast aside.

When I was a child, I spoke as a child speaks, I thought like a child thinks, and I reasoned like a child reasons. However, when I became a man, I packed my childish things away. For now, we see a reflection, as if we were gazing into a mirror. But then, but then we will look into His marvelous face. Now I know only a little. However, then my knowledge will be perfected. Then, I will know as others know me.

And now, three things remain to us. Faith, Hope and Love.

But the greatest of these is Love.

Paraphrased by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment