Friday, April 19, 2019

MY COUSIN FRANCES


Frances Langford, the WWII era movie actress and USO performer, was my dad’s second cousin. Their grandparents were half-brother and half-sister. (I have visited my gg Aunt Rhoenia’s gravesite in Mulberry, Florida). My dad once told me that John, Rhoenia’s brother, rode from southern Georgia to central Florida on horseback in the second half of the 19th century to see his sister.

When I was in Valdosta, visiting with my Aunt Olline, my dad’s 1st cousin, Sonny McDonald, came by her house, and I struck up a conversation with him.

“Sonny, I understand Frances Langford was your second cousin;” (which he affirmed with a nod).

And I continued,

“My dad told me that he once saw her perform in Hawaii during WWII, but didn’t bother to introduce himself.”

Sonny piped up. “Well, I didn’t exactly meet her either, but I saw her. I was in the same room with her. You see, my dad drove me down to Lakeland once since he got a hankering to see his first cousin, Vasco, Frances’ father.

I was maybe five or six, and while I was playing, or simply being bored in the living room, a young lady walked through, and almost immediately out the front door. I learned later that this was cousin Frances. By this time she had already made a few movies, and was a star. Later, during WWII, she did lots of USO shows for the military, and was Bob Hope’s female ‘side kick.’”

I had always wanted to talk to a family member who had actually spoken to, or seen Frances. I’m glad I had that unexpected opportunity. It would not present itself again.


by William McDonald, PhD. Excerpt from (Mc)Donald's Daily Diary. Vol. 33. Copyright pending
If you would like to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment