Saturday, October 28, 2023

THE WOMAN AT THE WELL

 4137

One of my favorite Bible stories involves what we have come to call “The Woman at the Well.”

 

The popular video series, “The Chosen” highlights this story, among many others. This segment is my favorite thus far in this series of videos.

 

I can tell you women were not highly esteemed in those days, nor did they have the same rights as their husbands. They lived in a time when the two major roles of women were taking care of the house and making babies. (And to be sure, these ARE extraordinarily important roles)

 

But Jesus came to break down such artificial barriers. He allowed the so-called unclean woman to touch him, to literally wash His feet, when he dined with the Pharisees, and He interacted with this Samaritan woman at the well. Not only was she a Samaritan, a mixed race of Jew and Gentile, but she was obviously a woman.

 

I love the scene in the movie in which Jesus says,

 

“I have not revealed myself to the public as the Messiah. You are the first.”

 

And the woman exclaims,

 

“You picked the wrong person.”

 

And then, and then Jesus responds with what has to be the most loving words anyone had ever said to her.

“I came to Samaria just to meet you!”

 

In our generation there is a popular adage that is more mythological than factual.

 

“We are all children of God.”

 

I’m sorry to disappoint you, but we ARE NOT all children of God. We are all creations of God. It is only after we bow at God’s feet, ask His forgiveness for the sins in our lives, and surrender to His leadership that we become children of God.

 

I think that’s what the Samaritan woman did that day. I can almost hear her as she finishes her conversation with Jesus, and heads back to her home. Listen, can you hear her?

 

“Amazing grace. How sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now I’m found, was blind but now I see.”

 

Well, to be fair that wonderful hymn of the Church was written almost two Millenia later, but I expect these words express what she was feeling that day.

 

I hope you will make that same decision for Jesus that the Woman at the Well made. My friends, I have no doubt whatsoever that she made that very decision, and that she was irrevocably changed. Her life would never be the same.

 by William McDonald, PhD

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment