Tuesday, March 14, 2023

MY BUDDY'S OLD PILLOW

 


4024

Our dearly beloved pooch, Buddy, left us not long after the advent of the current century. Buddy was a she; (in spite of her name). “Buddy” just seemed to fit. She was our precious little Buddy.

She was so dearly loved by my wife and I, and it was heart rending to see her go. (Thankfully, she went the natural way, and as a result the vet didn’t have to help her along).

After Buddy crossed the Rainbow Bridge, I left her pillow at the foot of my bed; the same pillow she sought out on a nightly basis. Her pillow (or one very much like it) is still there 17 years later. Since then, two more of our precious pooches, Lucy and Queenie, have gone on to their reward, and I consider it a communal pillow; which now rests there in memory of all three, in addition to Princess who crossed the Rainbow Bridge six and a half decades ago.

As I walked into my room today an interesting scene unfolded before me. A new addition to our family, Milo the Cat, was laying contentedly on Buddy’s pillow. At first, I wasn’t all that impressed, and I thought,

“You need to get your little rear end off Buddy’s pillow” (and) “That pillow is a dog pillow, not a cat pillow.”

But I felt something check me, and I merely said, “Hey Milo, you know that’s Buddy’s pillow” (and) “But, you know, I don’t think she’d mind sharing it with you.”

I could just imagine Milo and Buddy lying side by side on that old pillow. And I take comfort in an obscure verse of scripture found in Psalm 36:6.

“You, oh Lord, preserve both humans and animals alike.”

I believe I will see my little Buddy again. In the meantime, I can imagine a hearty grin on the face of my Savior, as He scoops Buddy into His arms, and nods His approval, as Milo once again prostrates himself on that old pillow, and catches a much needed cat nap.

 by William McDonald, PhD

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment