Monday, October 24, 2022

BUT I WOULD KNOW

 3949

Once a college president was approaching his 80's, and rather than 'enlist' for one more term, in a final meeting with his official board he told them that he was going to go ahead and retire.

And since "President Brown" was popular with the board and students, and had done great things to enhance the campus, as well as the reputation of the school, he was asked to stay on.
To which he replied,
"No, my Agnes needs me. You know as her dementia has progressed, I have had to, or at least wanted to, spend increasing amounts of time with her. And while I have brought in a caregiver, I do so enjoy our morning and evening walks around the neighborhood, and just being for her what she would be for me if it was the other way around."
Now "Mr. Perkins," the Chairman of the Board spoke up.
"Come now, President Brown. We need you here. Your dear Agnes will never know."
And several other board members agreed, and said similar things.
And with a sad smile, and twinkle in his eye, the elderly college president responded,
"No, my dear friends. She would never know... but I would!"

by William McDonald, PhD


No comments:

Post a Comment