Monday, October 11, 2021

THE LITTLE LADY UNDER THE BIG PILE OF SHEETS

 My wife has been in the hospital twice in the past couple of weeks to have a kidney stone removed. The first time around wasn’t “a charm.” The surgeon could not retrieve the stone, and a second operation was scheduled for a week later. This time around the stone was removed. However, she has been required to stay a few days longer due to a complication.

Jean is located in the far side of the hospital room next to the window. As I walked into the room for the first time before the second surgery, I noticed a pile of sheets in the first bed, and thought nothing about it. However, it wasn’t long before I discovered the pile of sheets was more than a pile of sheets. For you see, as the result of my wife’s nurse having moved her IV stand in order to change the drip bag, I momentarily noticed the head and shoulders of a small, elderly African-American woman beneath a bundle of sheets in the next bed.

She was a pitiful sight. Her eyes were closed and she lay there in a fetal position. And each time I walked in and out of Jean’s room, it seemed the little lady lay in the exact same spot, in the exact same position, and wore the exact same grimace on her face. And for all the hours I sat next to my wife in that room, the precious woman was not only bereft of visitors, but I never witnessed a nurse or nurse’s aide speak to her, or for that matter do anything for her.

Pt. 2

Once I asked Jean whether the elderly lady was being properly attended to, and she assured me that she had seen the medical team do the things that medical teams do, and that the frail old woman was completely dependent upon them, as she was immobile and non-verbal.

I felt a great amount of empathy for “Josephine,” especially since she seemed to have no one in the world, that she had experienced a great deal of suffering, and she was scheduled to be moved to the hospice floor of the hospital.

As I sat next to my wife’s bed yesterday, I experienced what seemed to be a prompting to do something I wasn’t all that inclined to do. It seemed to be one of those “If you build it, they will come” sort of whispers in my own “spiritual cornfield.”

“When you walk out of the room today, stop by Josephine’s bed, lean over her, touch her shoulder and quietly tell her,

‘Josephine, may God help, bless and encourage you.’”

For anyone who knows me, they are aware that I am a public speaker, counselor, mentor, singer, and former university professor, and that I absolutely love to impact those whom God sets in my pathway. And yet, while I have spoken to hundreds, and counseled and mentored couples and individuals, it has always been in my own environment and on my terms.

However, only a few of my close family members and friends are aware that I display a bit of reticence and introvertism when it comes to certain environments, and the lack of my own terms.

This was one of those times.

Pt. 3

I would love to be able to tell you I did the exact same thing which I felt prompted to do at that moment, that I kissed my wife ‘goodbye,’ that I walked halfway out of the room, that I bent over the little lady’s bed, that I touched her shoulder, that I whispered the words, “Josephine, may God bless, help and encourage you.”

…But I didn’t.

When I called my wife this morning, she informed me that Josephine had been transferred to the hospice floor of the hospital.

Perhaps I allowed formality and conventionality to deter me from my inclination to reach out to the little lady under that big pile of sheets. Perhaps my inclination to touch her and speak encouraging words in her ear was more about my own personal persuasion than a spiritual one. Of course, either way the foregoing actions and words could have only encouraged the dear lady, and what thinking, caring person would have criticized me for reaching out to her?

Of course, I wish I were given the grace of a “do over,” but like all momentary opportunities to bless, help and encourage another person, there simply are no do overs. I can only hope that a team member, visitor or patient in the little lady’s new environment will do and say what I failed to do and say.

God give me the wherewithal to learn from my momentary omissions, allow me to be sensitive to my own sensitivities, and help me to listen to that still small voice in the spiritual cornfield of my life.

Afterward

As I neared the conclusion of this blog last night, I wrote the words,

“I can only hope that a team member, visitor or patient in the little lady’s new environment will do and say what I failed to do and say.”

When I arrived at the hospital today, my wife’s final day in D7 319, I sat down in the easy chair next to her bed and told her I had just written a blog related to my “if you build it, they will come” inclination to bend over Josephine’s bed and whisper a little encouragement on my way out the last time I visited, and how I neglected to do so.

My wife has been a nurse for the past quarter of a century, and she has served a multitude of people in a multitude of nursing roles; hospital, hospice, nursing home, elementary school, agency nurse, etc.

When I told her about my inclination and my blog, she made me aware that, well, I’ll allow her to put it in her own words.

“I spoke to Josephine’s husband. He said she had been very much like this for ten years, and that she resided in a nursing home before her latest hospital visit.

“I told ‘Frank’ that although I realized his wife wasn’t communicative, I knew she was aware of my presence and my words, and how that I had made a practice of speaking to her when I passed her bed on the way to the bathroom. I would often say, ‘God bless you’ or ‘Stay encouraged, my friend.’

“And a couple of nights ago, I woke up about 3am, and I just felt inclined to bring up ‘Amazing Grace,’ a piece by Aretha Franklin, on my phone, and I played it for Josephine. Frank seemed pleased, and he said his wife was a believer.”

I felt an invisible weight drop off my shoulders. Whereas, my wife had been completely unaware of what I believed was God’s small, still whisper in my spiritual ear, and the blog which I, subsequently, wrote, our Lord had been faithful to speak to her in spite of me, and He led her to bless, help and encourage the little woman lying beneath that big pile of sheets in next bed.

by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright pending


No comments:

Post a Comment