Tuesday, October 23, 2018

THE LAKE WHISPERER


“You preserve both man, and animals alike.” (Psalm 36:6)


My brother in law and sister in law live on the very same lake upon which her parents lived before them. Matter of fact, they live in the very same home.

And as “strange and wonderful” as it may seem, I refer to my wife’s sister as, “The Lake Whisperer.”

Speaking of my in-laws, my parents in law were named, “Dock” and “Ruby.” Interestingly enough, their daughter has given two Sandhill Cranes, which regularly stroll up to her house, those very names. And the names of their rather statuesque chicks happen to be, “Sue” and “Lou Jean;” (her own name, and that of my wife).

When Sue sees them scampering into her back yard, and trumpeting the familiar honks which are distinctly theirs, she retrieves some bread from the pantry, and eagerly greets these beautiful gray birds; (which sport the most luxurious red head feathers upon which you ever laid eyes). Sue seems to be especially fond of “Ruby Redhead.” It goes without saying, this impressive bird’s “Christian name” serves as a modifier for her surname.

Over the past several years six or seven ducks which inhabit the lake have produced eggs, which have, subsequently, produced chicks. However, they haven’t been able to nurture the little ducks to adulthood; (which might have something to do with a several seven or eight foot Florida alligators which seem possessed with a taste for fresh duckling)!

However, the tide seems to have turned, as one of the feathered young couples has somehow managed to raise a brood of seven wee ones; well past the age when their tiny siblings succumbed to the culinary delight of those slimy green reptiles. Sue refers to the lucky little ducklings as, “The Magnificent Seven.” (A fitting name, indeed).

Pt. 2

Then, there is that aquatic creature upon which Sue has bestowed the unlikely name of, “Fred.” My sister in law first met him one afternoon during the midst of feeding her menagerie of assorted lake creatures. Fred is a rather large Nile Perch, (as in McDonald’s filet of fish sandwich) which “tips the scale” at an impressive four or five pounds. It  seems the standard fare in this “neck of the woods” is bread. However, Fred has never been known to complain, and he regularly swims beneath the dock, as dusk prepares to give way to night, and drifts in lazy circles; awaiting a few tasty morsels of the baker’s best.

I think Sue must have every attribute of a well-known Bible character, except perhaps one. (Thus far, God hasn’t instructed her to build an ark)!

I will allow her to describe what may very be her favorite dinner guest:

“I noticed a particular turtle which began coming around the dock for her share of bread. This turtle (I kid you not) has an imprint of a bikini top on her shell, thus I have awarded her the name, “Sexy Lady”. She spots me from quite a distance, and immediately paddles toward the dock. (Another turtle has discovered there's free food here, and in the past month has begun accompanying Sexy Lady). This new turtle has the strangest markings on his shell; lines which radiate in every direction. As a result, I have bestowed the name of “Leonardo” on the dear little creature. (Leonardo, as in Leonardo DaVinci)! 

“Leonardo has really impressed me lately. He attempts to climb up the boards which serve as braces for the dock. Recently, I learned the nature of his mission. I leaned as far over the water as I could, and he climbed as high up the boards as he possibly could.

“And, after pausing a moment to thank God for the blessings he was about to receive, (well, I don’t know about that) Leonardo took a bite of the piece of bread I extended towards him. And, thus, we continued our non-verbal soliloquy until the bread had been transferred from my hand to his belly.”

Afterward

“I've read in the Bible that one of the exclusive features of heaven is a River of Life. And just as God has promised me a mansion, I’m not ashamed to tell you that I've asked Him to allow my animal friends to inhabit that celestial river. (And I believe He has every intention of doing just that)!

“I love those lazy afternoons with my special little friends. And, you know, I’m convinced that we will wile away many heavenly afternoons together; in that lovely place where neither tears, nor dark of night will intrude upon our rivalry.”
by William McDonald, PhD. Copyright Pending
If you wish to copy, share or save, please include the credit line, above

No comments:

Post a Comment