4573
Years ago, some friends were staying overnight with us in our present home. Tony and Faye had a four year old daughter, and she walked into our hall bathroom that first night, and noticed the toilet lid was taped down since it was temporarily out of order. (Of course, we have another bathroom in our home). Well, little Janie was utterly confused when she saw the toilet lid taped down, and walked up to Jean. With a quizzical look in her eyes, she asked, "Ya'll don't pee?"
In another instance, my wife was on a missions trip to Moscow, Russia in the 1990's. Walking into the lobby of the hotel, she asked the lady behind the desk, "Where is your bathroom?" The woman responded with, "Why, do you need to take a bath?" It was obvious their terminology was different. Jean tried again. "Uhmmm, where is your restroom?" With that the lady replied, "Why, do you need to rest?" My wife finally said, "Where is the toilet?" The young woman finally understood what she wanted.
And
then there was the time I was serving with the National Guard in Homestead,
Florida after Hurricane Andrew. We were doing a food giveaway at the local flea
market that day. Suddenly, a young Haitian mother walked up to me, and asked,
"Ou est les toilets?" I had retained enough French from my college
French class two decades earlier, and pointing to the porta potty's on the
perimeter of the complex, I replied, "Voila les toilets!" Speaking of bathrooms, and that particular period of time, my fellow soldiers and I waited 8 days after arriving in Homestead to get our first shower. I'm sure our ambiance was known to one and all to those we met along the way!
by Bill McDonald, PhD
No comments:
Post a Comment