4570
My wife and I took the vacation of a lifetime eight years ago.
We joined a tour group and traveled to Ireland, N. Ireland, and Scotland. During the course of our journey, we found ourselves in a hotel in Glasgow, Scotland; next to a beautiful bridge which spans the River Clyde, and a hundred yards from the theater in which Susan Boyle sang, "I Dreamed a Dream."
Sometime during our brief visit in Glasgow, I took the elevator from our third floor room to the lobby. At this stage I forget the nature of my mission. After a few minutes, I retraced my steps, and re-entered the elevator. A non-descript, middle-aged man stepped in behind me.
Now, my newfound friend spoke.
"Aren't you an American?"
(I could tell from his accent that he was a native-born Scotsman).
I responded.
"Why, yes. Yes, I am."
He continued. And referring to World War II, he exclaimed,
"Ah. We are so very grateful that your dear lads willingly helped us during that great conflict. So many of your wonderful countrymen died for that worthy cause. We can never thank them enough!"
At this stage I cannot remember how I answered him, but I provided him what I thought was a fitting response.
Now, the elevator stopped at my third floor landing, the doors opened, I bid the man "goodbye," and I stepped out.
I suppose our interaction that evening consumed less than a minute, but I have never forgotten it. And, no doubt, I will continue to reflect on our conversation the remainder of the days which God has allotted to me.
by Bill McDonald, PhD
No comments:
Post a Comment