Friday, September 20, 2024

MY PEN PAL MRS. OLESON

 4284

Pt. 1

It has been over 15 years since I took it on myself to locate the address of the woman who portrayed the "Little House on the Prairie" character, "Mrs. Harriet Oleson."
I noticed that Alison Arngrim, the young lady who portrayed Katherine MacGregor's TV daughter, had a Facebook page, and so I sent her a private message, and asked for her TV mother's mailing address. She was kind enough to respond and sent me her home/mailing address in California.
l immediately wrote "Mrs. Oleson," (not altogether believing I would receive a response from her). She had always been one of my two favorite supporting character actors, (the other being "Barney Fife," of "The Andy Griffith Show," portrayed by Don Knotts).
Three months elapsed, and I felt sure she wasn't going to reply to my letter, (especially since she was, by this time, 83 years of age). However, as 2007 gave way to 2008, I received a postcard from California with a very familiar name in the upper left hand corner.
Miss MacGregor took more than the usual care in responding to my questions, or at least the content of my letter. I had expressed how much I loved her gossipy, look down her nose, know it all portrayal of the Walnut Grove, Minnesota storekeeper.
Pt. 2
Following is the text of her postcard:
My dear Dr. McDonald (or William)
Finally, I'm getting around to answering some of my fan mail, and re-reading your letter of Nov. 20, 2007. It makes me feel terrific. It still amazes me that our TV show really became a classic. Yes, I do get a fair amount of fan mail - and occasionally I get one like yours - very complimentary but thoughtful - Thank you.
Tell me. What is Wikipedia? I'm not familiar with it. I loved your tribute to me and my character's self-aggrandizement, and then bearing the brunt of the actions chosen. Very good. All of the writers had a good time writing Mrs. Oleson's escapades.
Thanks so much.
Fondly, K.
On the bottom right, Miss MacGregor had drawn an excellent caricature of herself as "Mrs. Oleson" with the words, "Harriet Oleson of Little House on the Prairie" played by Katherine MacGregor
Pt. 3
Of course, I was elated, and having read the postcard several times, I added it to my autograph book which included the likes of John Glenn, Ted Kennedy, and Colonel Paul Tibbits (who piloted the first atomic mission over Japan).
I apparently wrote "Mrs. Oleson" a couple more letters over the next several years, though it is a fading memory. In one response, Katherine (may I call her "Katherine") referred to a book titled "Team of Rivals" which she had recommended to various people, and how that she'd heard Barack Obama mention it on TV. In her written account she told me that, "I puffed up like a Rhode Island Roster! I was so proud to hear him affirm my opinion of the book."
As you might imagine, I thoroughly enjoyed the original postcard, and this subsequent letter. But then... but then it got downright weird!
But allow me to regress a bit. I had previously made "Mrs. Oleson" aware that one of my distant cousins, "Janice Langston", had told me that she had been associated with Katherine in the local little theater production in her community.
Well, the famed self-aggrandized little Walnut Grove storekeeper would have none of it. She proceeded to deny knowing my cousin numerous times over the course of numerous letters over the course of numerous years.
Pt. 4
Katherine even wrote a letter to my cousin Janice, and asked that I forward it to her. Her letters to me on the topic, and the letter she wrote my cousin were laced with sentences such as, "I don't know her (you)" and "She (you) must have me mixed up with someone else" and "I have asked several other members of our production company, and they all deny knowing her (you)!"
Interestingly enough, it seems the members of Katherine's production company were primarily Hindu, many hailing from India. And it seems she was a Hindu convert herself, even during the time she portrayed the church going Mrs. Oleson on "Little House on the Prairie." (As a matter of fact, my pen pal missed the last couple of episodes of the show, as she was on a pilgrimage to India).
One letter really "got OCD." Miss MacGregor had written all sorts of notes on one of my original letters; all of which detailed the impossibility of having ever met my cousin.
I mean the ole girl was obsessed with this one thing, and continued to refer to it over the course of three years. Her last letter seemed almost belligerent in tone, and ended with,
"Please don't send me any more letters or photos. My fans have covered me up with stuff like that" (and) "I'm sending back everything you mailed to me" (and) "I'm just too old" (and) "This will be my final reply."
Post-script
"Mrs. Oleson" passed away seven years later having arrived at the grand old age of 93.
Based on the consistency of and content of her letters, Katherine and her TV character shared some similar traits!

by Bill McDonald, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment